How to Make Your Own Tempeh
Easy recipe for Homemade tempeh
Maybe we have practiced how to make tempeh at school. As a form of introduction to Indonesian traditional food, which has been around for generations. As well as teaching children about the process of fermenting seeds.
Tempe is one of the foods that many people enjoy. Apart from using soybean seeds, making tempeh can also use other bean seeds, including even corn.
The fermentation process in this place relies on the help of several types of fungi such as Rhizopus oligosporus, Rh. oryzae, or Rh. arrhizus, or the one with tempeh yeast. This fermented food is claimed to have many benefits for the body.
Tempeh is rich in many nutrients
Tempeh boasts an impressive nutrient profile. It’s high in protein, vitamins, and minerals but low in sodium and carbs.
A 3-ounce (84-gram) serving of tempeh contains these nutrients
- Protein: 15 grams
- Carbs: 9 grams
- Total fat: 9 grams
- Sodium: 9 milligrams (mg)
- Iron: 12% of the recommended daily intake (RDI)
- Calcium: 9% of the RDI
- Riboflavin: 18% of the RDI
- Niacin: 12% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 18% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 21% of the RDI
- Manganese: 54% of the RDI
In a piece of tempeh, about 100 grams can contain 20 grams of protein. As well as complete nutrition, which is worthy of being a substitute for meat. As well as other mineral content such as iron, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin A, vitamin B6, and folic acid.
All of these good compounds can help maintain muscle tissue. As well as making enzymes that the body’s cells need, which can work well according to their function. Especially for those of you who are trying to eat a healthy diet. Tempe can be an alternative food, processed with a variety of delicious menus.
Even though it’s easy and cheap to buy it directly, there’s nothing wrong with trying to make it yourself. It can also be a venue for new business ideas.
Here’s how to make your own tempeh at home,
delicious, tasty and practical Ingredients :
400 grams of soybeans
1/2 tsp tempeh yeast
Wrap in banana leaves/plastic to taste
How to make:
1. First clean the soybeans with running water, then soak them in a container filled with water. Poor quality soybean seeds will float, remove that part.
2. Then soak overnight or at least 8 hours. After that, knead until the epidermis is peeled clean.
3. Prepare a pot, blanch soybeans in boiling water for about 60 minutes or until soft. If so, remove and filter. Then drain until completely dry.
4. Transfer the soybean seeds to a wide container, you can also use a tampah. Leave it until the soybean seeds reach room temperature and are completely dry.
5. Then sprinkle the yeast on the dry soybeans, and stir evenly to all parts.
6. Prepare banana leaves with the size according to taste. Then enter the soybean seeds, then stab the wrapper with toothpicks scattered. If using plastic, the surface punctures are the same.
7. Store raw tempeh in a rack or container that has good air circulation. Then cover it with a clean cloth , and make sure it is not exposed to sunlight.
8. Let stand at room temperature, for at least 2-3 days.
How to Make Tempeh Yeast
Rice 300 grams
Tempe flour 3 grams
Rice flour fried toasted
Banana leaves or plastic sheet
A pounder or grinder Tool
for sifting flour
pan Plastic bag
How to make:
1. First wash the rice thoroughly, then cook the rice until it becomes rice. When it’s cooked, place the rice on top of the bamboo winnowing to cool.
2. After the rice has cooled, sprinkle the tempe flour on top and stir until smooth, then cover with a banana leaf or plastic sheet.
3. Store the tampah containing rice in the place where it is ripened or where the process is fermented. Make sure the place used is clean so that the tempe mushroom growing process can produce good spores. Usually when the rice has turned black, the tempeh mushroom is visible
4. Rice that has changed color to black can be taken and immediately dried in the hot sun. Make sure the rice can dry evenly, if not it can be dried again the next day.
5. After drying, then grind the rice with a pounder or you can also use a milling machine. Puree the ingredients until perfect, then sift the results of the grinding and store it in a container.
6. The result of the sieve is called starter tempeh, then it can be diluted with roasted rice flour, that is, with a ratio of 10 grams of starter tempeh and 50-100 grams of roasted rice flour.
7. When finished, store the yeast in a plastic bag and place it in an airtight container.
Tips for Making Tempeh
After understanding how to make your own tempeh at home, as well as the steps for making yeast. Here are tips so that the tempeh that we make is successful
1. Make sure not to store the tempeh fermentation process in an air-conditioned room. Better at normal room temperature.
2. Keep it in a well-ventilated room.
3. Using a thermometer to ensure the temperature or temperature during fermentation. To prevent soybeans from overheating.
4. Check the temperature inside the soybeans too. Not only the outside.
5. How to freeze it so that it lasts, it is best to boil it first for about 20 minutes in boiling water. Remove and wait for it to cool, then store it in a container and put it in the refrigerator.
Joud Travel & Food